SCAD x The Mill: Week Nine
Updated: May 24, 2021
Process Blog for SDGM 560, a 10 week collaboration with The Mill at SCAD.
Week Nine Updates:
This week is mainly compositing focused. After our critique on Tuesday, I worked on implementing the last changes in Maya and rerendered only the necessary layers for each shot.
First, I went back and added a new occlusion layer for the contact shadow of the car on the road.
For shot 2, there was also a visible shadow on the car from the terrain for a few frames. While this was accurate for the environment, the cast shadow was distracting and overall looked like a mistake. To remove it, I simply removed the terrain geometry from the car render layer.
Finally, for shot 3 we felt that the left side of the car needed to be slightly darker to shape it a bit better. To achieve this, I added a card to block the fill light from the HDRI on the left side.
Once these changes were made I put each shot on the renderfarm and prioritized getting the renders to Naige as soon as possible. Since we were finished working in Maya, I then began working on our end logo and slogan slide as well as the credits slide. I started by searching for reference of Ford commercials, and found that the most recent ones used this clean white logo. I also really liked how it pops off of the environment, and felt it would work really well in our final shot.
Ford Commercial Reference (above).